Saturday, March 30, 2013

Holy Monday: A Reflection on Monday's Action Against Durham's Anti-Panhandling Law



by Wil Posey
 
Holy Week began for me with singing “We are building up a new world” at the base of a stoplight at 15/501 and Mt. Moriah Rd.  On Holy Monday, a group of folks gathered at this intersection to stand in solidarity with our neighbors who are presently homeless, and in protest of Ordinance #14375. 

Some of the men holding their “Hungry Please Help—God Bless You” signs are regulars there; you may have recognized them.  Others—also donning orange vests and carrying cardboard signs—who took to the medians and street corners included local clergy and laity.  Their signs read things like, “Asking for Help is Not a Crime” and “I was Hungry and you Fined Me.” 

As for me, I was at the base of a stoplight, singing, listening, watching, worshipping.  Leaders of the protest read Scriptures about charity, love, and visions of God’s kingdom.  They also shared snippets about saints who dedicated their lives to the poor.  And, of course, we sang.  All the while I watched Durhamites—homeless and homed—pace the medians asking for change.

Around this time last year, former Dean of the Duke Chapel Sam Wells spoke to a crowd of us in Whitford Hall and said when he first came to Durham, he asked the question, “Where does Jesus tend to show up in Durham?  That’s where I’d like to hang out.”  I went to the protest on Monday because I suspected that’s the sort of place Jesus is likely to show up.

Don’t get me wrong, I also believe with many others Ordinance #14375 criminalizes begging, prevents us from having the opportunity to practice generosity and charity, and pushes our homeless sisters and brothers further into the shadows of our city.  I went to protest those injustices, but I also went hoping to bump into Jesus.

And Jesus showed up.  I believe Jesus was present in the parents who held signs of protest while their children played in the grass nearby, and Jesus was in the kids who brought their own protest signs.  I believe the Spirit of Christ was in our singing.  I think Jesus showed up as members of his body gathered to stand in solidarity with one another on a frigid Holy Monday.  And I think, perhaps, Jesus was present in our brothers holding signs saying “Hungry Please Help—God Bless.”

During Lent we have thought and talked about how we might walk with Jesus throughout these forty days of fasting, devotion, and penitence.  In walking with our homeless sisters and brothers, we walk with Jesus. 

As I was leaving the protest, I asked one of the homeless men, “Do you know my friend over there?”  He said, “Her?  Yeah, she goes to my church!”  My church. 

Ah, yes!  Thank you, God.  Lord, help us be your church, for the poor and for the world, to the glory of your holy name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment